Hummingbird Technologies is the leading global remote sensing business for agriculture, using artificial intelligence and imagery analytics gathered from drones, planes and satellites technology, combined with weather and soil data and expert plant pathology to enable precision agriculture. We use the most advanced machine learning and computer vision techniques, delivering actionable insights on crop health directly to the field meaning farmers on the ground are able to manage their land in a more sustainable manner.
We were awarded KPMGs Best British Tech Startup 2019 and Cognition X Best AI Product for Agriculture 2018.
Existing backers of the business include: The European Space Agency, Sir James Dyson, Horizon Ventures, Downing Ventures and Velcourt, Europe’s largest commercial farming operation. We also have tech partners which include Google UK and Cranfield University.
Hummingbird was founded in 2016 at the Imperial College technology incubator and we have raised over £10m in funding so far.
We operate internationally with offices in the UK, Ukraine, Russia, Australia, Brazil and Canada.
Come and join a talented team of software engineers, big data engineers, computer vision experts and machine learning researchers, working together in a multi-disciplinary environment. We are creating the future of crop and farm management through the delivery of automated insights from imagery. Furthermore, our products are used across the globe to help feed the world and to minimise the long-term environmental impact of modern large-scale agriculture.
Helping the product and R&D teams your work will be fundamental on automating delivery of multiple Machine Learning and Computer Vision models into production. Your work will span development and operations and will involve collaboration across the entire Hummingbird technology and science teams.
- Build and manage data pipelines that handle terabytes of imagery data (drone and satellite) every day.
- Work closely with our team of data scientists and frontend developers to build and delivery features to several types of users
- Help build integrations with external 3rd party API data services
- Advise and mentoring colleagues on best practices to employ when writing code for our environments
- Production experience building or architecting web backends from prototype to internet scale
- Experience using Python (or other languages such as Ruby, Go, Kotlin or JS)
- Deep understanding of Google Cloud Platform (or AWS)
- Knowledge of testing frameworks and how to use them to the product’s benefit
- Strong believer and practitioner of Infrastructure as Code (we love Terraform)
- Familiarity with CI / CD pipelines and other developer tools
- Right to work in the UK as we don’t offer sponsorship at this stage
- Understands when to use the following Python web frameworks: Django, Flask and FastAPI
- Experience with architecting database schemas and how to work with ORMs
- Experience with containerisation technologies (Docker, Kubernetes/GKE) and Serverless (AWS Lambdas and GCP Cloud Functions)
- BSc or MSc in relevant field
- Personal demonstrable interest in environmental impact and sustainability
- Competitive package
- Private Healthcare
- Government Pension scheme
- Flexible working
- Cycle to work scheme
- Extra day off for your birthday
- Learning & development allowance
How to apply
Please send your CV and a short note to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line – Application: Senior Backend Engineer